Originally posted at this link by BCW Institute
Thanks for joining us on Season 5 of The Flourishing Culture Podcast, brought to you by The Best Christian Workplaces Institute. You’ll learn how to build a flourishing workplace culture that drives the ministry impact of your organization, your church, or your company brought to you by the Best Christian Workplaces Institute. Now here’s your host, BCWI president, Al Lopus.
This summer we experienced upheaval regarding race in our country and around the world. Do you believe the Christian workplace should be the model for racial healing amid civil unrest? Well, today’s episode highlights a multicultural workplace that is doing just that. Listen now to learn how.
“How do we start the conversation? We look for people in our community who are marginalized and don’t have a voice at the table.”
|Listen in iTunes||Listen in Google Podcasts|
Normally, I’m joined on the podcast by one guest. Today, I’m honored and grateful to welcome two guests—two tremendous leaders serving one, dynamic multicultural church outside Baltimore, Maryland. In the next few minutes, we’re going to talk about a historic challenge and opportunity facing the church in America right now. Their ministry perspective, their stories, their devotion to love, and serve Jesus Christ will inspire you like nothing else.
I want to welcome in Frank Eastham, Chief Operating Officer, and Tim Samuel, Chief Financial Officer for Bridgeway Community Church, in the Columbia and Owings Mills regions outside of Baltimore, Maryland. Frank, Tim, thanks for joining me here on the Flourishing Culture Podcast.
“We believe intentional leadership will help any leadership problem you have. We intentionally addressed cultural issues and structural issues.”
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Reaching out beyond the walls of the church to reach the community, the culture, and the world (03:42)
- Building a multicultural body who are followers of Christ (04:32)
- Being the leader in charge while humbly serving others (07:30)
- How the killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor and the real-time upheaval of race in our country have entered into the conversation at Bridgeway (08:49)
- Having race conversations within your own culture (11:43)
- Extending positive favor to other people regardless of their color, class, or culture (13:45)
- “How do we start the conversation? We look for people in our community who are marginalized and don’t have a voice at the table.” (14:20)
- The difference between equality and equity (15:50)
- “To be a multicultural body of fully devoted followers of Christ” (17:00)
- Having diverse individuals throughout your building (19:41)
- Diffusing tension between an African American man and a white pastor (25:00)
- Diversity coaching (25:45)
- “We believe intentional leadership will help any leadership problem you have. We intentionally addressed cultural issues and structural issues.” (27:53)
- Culture building through strengths and eliminating culture busting (38:30)
- Transparency and trust (39:15)
Download BCWI’s four-page guide for inspirational leadership in crisis for FREE.
Read the Transcript
Read a complete, word-for-word transcript of the episode here
Subscribe to the Podcast Here
Share the Love
If you enjoyed this episode, please rate it on iTunes and write a brief review. By doing so, you will help spread our podcast to more listeners, and thereby help more Christian workplaces learn to build flourishing cultures.